Riverblades Learn to Skate - Level 1
Youth Enrichment / Recreational Activities -
Beginner skaters ages 3-7; who have never skated before. Skaters will be assisted by their parent/guardian (parent/guardian will be required to wear skates & assist skaters in class) play games and sing songs as they develop skills needed to balance and move across the ice. Beginner skaters who have minimal skating experience. Skaters will learn the proper way to fall and get up, hopping and how to make A's and V's. Once your skater is comfortable enough without your assistance we will have them slowly join the class on their own. This usually happens after the sixth week.
A 30 minute class is held between the time frame listed. Participants will be emailed one week in advance which 30 minute time frame your skater’s class will take place within that block of time.
Our annual Skate with Santa event to benefit our local food shelf will be held on Saturday, December 11 from 6-7:30 pm. All classes perform in the event. River Blades skaters will perform to your favorite holiday tunes from 6-7 pm. Community open skate with Santa will be from 7-8:30 pm (will follow Covid protocols).
Amanda Truax grew up in Hastings and graduated from Hastings High School. Amanda took her very first lesson at the Hastings Arena in the 70’s. Amanda trained at the St. Paul Figure Skating Club & The Maplewood Figure Skating club for many years growing up. She has won numerous competitions around the United States in Figure Skating & Dance. Amanda holds a degree in Business & Dance from the University Wisconsin-Riverfalls. Along with teaching competitive Figure Skating Amanda taught dance at Jan’s School of Dance for many years.
Amanda was a member of the NHL’s Minnesota North Stars Dance Team - The Electric Stars. After college Amanda landed a job with Disney on Ice after years of competing as a singles skater. She toured with Disney on Ice for 8 years and developed herself as a well known Figure Skating Choreographer within Disney on Ice. Amanda is excited to be back to her roots and running a skate school in her hometown. She can now pass her love of Ice Skating on to the youth of Hastings.
Amanda Truax, Figure Skating Professional, is the owner of our local River Blades Skating School.
- Holds a Business Degree and Dance degree form UWRF and is trained in Ballet, Lyrical, Modern Dance, Jazz, Hip-Hop, Tap, Gymnastics, and Flamenco (Spanish Dance).
- Has been a dance & gymnastics instructor and choreographer for 15 years-she was chosen by Sara Kawahara (Michelle Kwan's Choreographer) to teach Ballet, Jazz, & Edge classes to the cast of Disney on Ice 1997-2005.
- Was also an assistant choreographer in the pre-production choreography for Disney on Ice-Jungle Adventures (Tarzan, Jungle Book & the Lion King)
- Was also a member of the NHL-Minnesota North Stars Dance Team-The Electric Stars.
- Was a principle performer on stage at the 1992 Super Bowl.
- Was Female Dancer of the Year Minnesota in 1992. Competed in many national dance competitions in the Twin Cities & at Disney World FL Jazz, Tap, Ballet Lyrical, & Gymnastics).
- Has a rich background in many forms of dance and would like to share her knowledge with the skaters of the Woodbury FSC and through the River Blades Skating School to folks in the Hastings community.